Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

2021-06-12 13:00:49
Ralph Corderoy wrote in
 <20210612103715(_dot_)A572C21FC4(_at_)orac(_dot_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
 |>> I am aware that some people, for reasons I cannot comprehend, want
 |>> to run in the "C" locale
 |>
 |> I do that, not so much because I want to, but because that's what
 |> happens when no LC_* env variables (nor LANG) exist at all.   That's
 |> me.   I believe you understand that locales aren't exactly first class
 |> objects in NetBSD...  (Or not yet anyway).
 |
 |https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/unicode/ suggests Unicode through
 |UTF-8 is well supported as long as the user sets the appropriate
 |environment variables.  Isn't just that you choose not to set them?

Last i looked they use a gigantic chunk of memory in mbstate_t or
so (128 byte?).  Other than that the Citrus project was ..the
first to support locales in (free) Unix?  I think so.  What was
totally missing was support for collation.  Understandable here
especially strxfrm(3) which uses a terrible algorithm that drives
me up the wall in order to turn some A in a B that can be matched
via strcmp(3).  /ME shivers.  Other than that the w*() interface
is a terrible mess, it does not know about graphemes,
normalization, de-/composing, etc.  Just my one cent.

--steffen