Re: crufty mhn.default.sh stuff

2021-12-19 06:37:03
Hi David,

Paul wrote:
Seems like the right swiss army knife to be using these days would
be mplayer, which appears to be available in most places, and which
has never failed to play any type of video I've given it.

I like it.  How about ffplay as a fallback?

As George pointed out, mpv(1) is popular.  I switched to it from
mplayer(1).

There are so many choices; couldn't we punt to xdg-open(1) for
‘mhshow-show-image’ which is the fallback if a subtype-specific entry
isn't found?  The current practice of pushing a GIF or JPEG through
xwud(1) seems flawed, e.g. animated GIFs.  And also have xdg-open as the
definition for some of the other MIME types?
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-utils/

And then there's the mailcap(4) route, which I think Ken's mentioned
before.

To hijack the thread a bit, I find when I first show an email that I'm
after a summary of non-text parts, e.g. pdfinfo(1) rather than viewing
the PDF.  Ditto images which are often lots of little silly corporate
footer icons.  Only once I'm happy an email is worth reading in full do
I want to spin up the bulk of LibreOffice to look at some Word document;
a rare occurrence.  So presenting new users with a single ‘show’ concept
seems wrong.

BTW, feh(1) is nice for images, and llpp(1) for PDFs.  The latter uses
the same fast library as the mupdf(1) viewer but has a nicer,
less(1)-like, UI.

--
Cheers, Ralph.