crufty mhn.default.sh stuff

2021-12-18 15:29:40
I noticed the other day that etc/mhn.defaults.sh is configured to
try and find "mpeg_play" for playing .mpg files, with no fallback,
and no support for any other video types.

"mpeg_play" isn't even available on a current Ubuntu (so also not
Debian, right?) release.

Seems like the right swiss army knife to be using these days would
be mplayer, which appears to be available in most places, and which
has never failed to play any type of video I've given it.

I got curious, and found that the mpeg_play support was in the
initial Doug Morris version, dated April '99.  There are other
suspicious program recommendations from the same commit:

    ivs_replay (for mhshow-show-application/x-ivs)
    richtext   (for text/richtext)
    rt2raw     (for text/richtext)

plus probably half a dozen someone archaic looking programs for audio
support.

And others that Doug didn't introduce, but which are somewhat long in
the tooth:
    xv
    soffice

Seems like some of this could be cleaned up, but some degree of
backward compatibility (for folks that actually have mpeg_play
installed, or for those that actually have all of the patches and
libraries needed for xv these days) would probably be good.

Thoughts?

 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 31.6 degrees)