Re: merge pick and scan

2022-03-30 04:45:45
I'm somewhat neutral on this — can see the convenience etc. — but here's
a case that is currently unambiguous (because MH commands have side
effects) that might cause complications for general switch parsing:

  refile +foo `pick ... +bar`

.. if pick's args were merged into refile's, then order of arguments
becomes even more significant:

  refile ... +bar +foo

or

  refile +foo ... +bar

?

I mean, if we were to treat refile like mv, then arguably you should be
able to do something like

  refile ... +baz ... +bar +foo

.. but I think it becomes obvious that a potentially major general
overhaul would be required to make sense of things.  Indeed, why
wouldn't we then want to say

  refile -from john +* +foo

etc.  Can of worms.  Justified?  If you've got the time, maybe.

Conrad