pem-dev

Re: X.509 v3 support

1995-01-13 16:56:00

Maybe it has a DOD OID, reflecting its ARPAnet routes?

Yes, it has  iso(1) identifiedOrganization(3) dod(6) internet(1)

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the use of OIDs and
organizationally qualified attributes registered under the global name
registration tree, e.g., under the  joint-iso-ccitt arc (2, was independent
of and subsumes X.500.

OIDs are independent of X.500 Directory Distinguished names and does not
"contain" a directory.  An OSI registration authority will assign an
organization an OID or a Directory name or both, but they are used for very
different purposes.
I don't know what you mean by "organizationally qualified" attributes -
perhaps an attribute whose attribute type OID is assigned by the same
organization which operates the Directory Management Domain where the entry
containing that attribute resides?

X.500 is a hierarchical collection of entries. Entries are a set of attributes:
each attribute is a (type, value(s) pair).  Attribute types are OIDs.  The
OID "iso(1) identifiedOrganization(3) teletrust(36) attr(4) pemCRL(1)" does not
identify a single CRL, nor a CRL attribute in a particular entry, and does
not contain any information to enable CRL attributes of this type to be found
in the Directory, as it may be used as the type of an attribute in an entry
located anywhere in the Directory.

        Mark Wahl; M(_dot_)Wahl(_at_)isode(_dot_)com; ISODE Consortium;
http://www.isode.com/