pem-dev

Re: X.509 v3 support

1995-01-16 14:28:00
Bob:

Does the proposed v3 ISO certificate have a different OID than the v1, in
addition to the version number that is encoded within it?

The v3 certificate is stored in exactly the same directory attribute as the v1
certificate.  The version mechanism is used to distinguish v1, v2, and v3.  All
of this discussion of OIDs seems totally pointless to me.  There was no need in
the past nor none in the future for RFC 1422 to define attribute OIDs for
certificates.

I understand your current proposal is not to change the current MIME-PEM drafts
re certificates, but start out a new activity to cover v3 certificates.  Since
there could be no question of a new Draft progressing to proposed draft
standard
within 6 months, there is no issue with ISO alignment.  The ISO Draft Technical
Corrigendum which formally adopts the v3 format is going out now for its final
90-day ballot.  Therefore the v3 format will be final in ISO in June or July -
the new IETF draft can reference it directly.

Warwick