pem-dev

Re: X.509 v3 support

1995-01-19 11:23:00
I'm not drawing a final conclusion yet, but we need to think through these
issues based on more than just standards politicing. It isn't the direction
that I am questioning, just the time frame. should be push hard to get the
basic v3 format implemented immediately, including tyhe use of existing
attributes as extensions but no new paradigms for hierarchies, etc., or should
we try to think through all of these issues and revise the spec only once? It
isn't clear to me, at least not yet.

I agree with Bob on all of this. I also think that the only way to deal
with these matters is to review the v3 cert work carefully, develop a
list of potential issues, and then try to write a document that deals
with them. Informed decisions on what to push for can be made once this is
done.

I also think this should be a topic for a new group. (The mailing list
used doesn't matter to me.)

                                Ned