perl-i18n

Announcing Locale::Maketext::Gettext

2003-04-25 07:17:36
Dear all,

    I would like to introduce my Locale::Maketext::Gettext, a new effort
to integrate the GNU gettext and Maketext frameworks.

    Locale::Maketext::Gettext is a subclass of Locale::Maketext.  It
inherits the working model from Locale::Maketext, including: the
maketext method, the project localization class and its language
subclasses.  On the other hand, it also implements the way GNU gettext
works, including MO files, the LOCALEDIR structure, bindtextdomain and
textdomain.  (It thus conforms to the FHS standard.)  GNU gettext's work
flow with programmers, translators, Emacs and even gettextize holds.
You don't have to change the way you works if you were coming from GNU
gettext.

    Besides, Locale::Maketext::Gettext holds the following benefits: It
is multibyte-safe (as GNU gettext PO/MO files are multibyte-safe).  It
supports different output encodings.  It is optimized for mod_perl.  It
wraps Locale::Maketext's static methods with instance methods, so that
it can be used in daemons, to face different users in different
environments (encoding, lexicon, etc.)

    The current version of Locale::Maketext::Gettext is 0.03.  You can
visit it if you are interested:

    http://search.cpan.org/author/IMACAT/Locale-Maketext-Gettext/

    I learned a lot writing it.  I have no object-oriented programming
experience before, not even to perl's classes and objects.  And this is
my first public perl module.  Please tell me your comments.  Any comment
is welcome.  Thank you.

    Locale::Maketext::Gettext works only with perl 5.8.0 or above (since
Encode lives on perl 5.7.2 and above).  No module dependency is required.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat(_at_)mail(_dot_)imacat(_dot_)idv(_dot_)tw>

Tavern IMACAT's: http://www.imacat.idv.tw/