perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-06-13 10:13:53
On 13 Jun 1999 10:58:06 EDT, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
"GS" == Gurusamy Sarathy <gsar(_at_)activestate(_dot_)com> writes:
GS> It seems better to have both C<use utf8> and C<use locale> have
GS> a global effect, and add a lexically scoped C<use byte> (or
GS> similar) that will mark places that operate on binary data,
GS> and therefore turn off any encoding related pragmata.  What
GS> do you think?

Would this add yet another label to all CPAN modules?

      UTF8:   (Unsafe, Safe, Aware)

Only when they do what you have done below:

The default behavior would be the same as what happens now.

Or perhaps,

      use utf8 ':global';     # I'll take my chances

The alternative is to put C<use caller 'encoding'> in every
module that is known to not handle "binary" data.  (Which I
expect will be 99% of the modules on CPAN.)

Sarathy
gsar(_at_)activestate(_dot_)com