perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-06-12 21:28:48
On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:41:59 MDT, Tom Christiansen wrote:
Again, the one thing I don't like about the above is that
code that operates on binary data will silently fail to do the
right thing when the user enables the global switch.

Does the term "binary data" even make any sense given a Unicode world?
Did it ever? :-)

Maybe I should start saying "arbitrary stream of binary digits
with no special meaning attached to them" everytime I mean binary
data.  :-)

Speaking of "binary data", perl.pod says "Perl can *also* deal with
binary data, ..." which makes the lesser understood bit patterns
second-class citizenry.

Sarathy
gsar(_at_)activestate(_dot_)com