perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-06-18 06:51:37
On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 03:33:38PM -0400,
ilya(_at_)math(_dot_)ohio-state(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 12:17:34PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
I'm not against schemes for autogenerating utf-8 aware modules from
non-utf-8 aware modules where that's practical.  But we must be aware
that it's a different module with a different interface, and that the
correctness of automatic translation is about as decidable as the
halting problem.

Proving macros SvPV (which is as efficient as now, but ignores
encoding), SvPVnarrow (with an additional argument to indicate failure
of the translation), and SvPVwide is all that is needed for a
quick-and-dirty correction of modules.

This sounds like a disagreement over credibility.  Is UTF-8 really as
credible as Latin-1?

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."
                            via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank