perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-06-16 16:19:01
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:40:43 EDT, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
Some changes to core-API functions may be needed.

Where the check happens is irrelevent.  I'm interested in getting
a sense for the performance hit.

                                                 Say, sv_catsv()
will need to sv_2utf8() one of the arguments if the flags on the
arguments mismatch (or do something similar).

And so will every single extension out there that ever accesses
SvPVX() directly.  If there's no caching, SvPV() in an extension
will have to test for and convert every such utf8-encoded string
every time, making a "byte-encoded" copy, and keeping it somewhere
until whatever ran SvPV() is finished with the result.

[...]
    a) printing: all I/O goes via conversion [...]

Then it is as I suspected. :-(

???  I repeat: give an example.

Suddenly, I don't see the need to.

An implementation based on magic might be acceptable, but not
what you've sketched out.  As always, feel free to convince me
otherwise with an implementation.

Sarathy
gsar(_at_)activestate(_dot_)com