perl-unicode

Re: possible regexp feature for 5.6: "ignore diacritics"

1999-10-18 02:23:00

Jarkko Hietaniemi writes:
I would say it is for all practical purposes impossible: there still
is no commonly agreed upon set of locale definitions, enforced by some
international standards body.  Maybe the open source projects will
come up with something in time.

Actually, this reminds me of an idea that has been in a backburner for
me for some time now: could the Perl community, being rather
multinational, come up with a good comprehensive set of locale
definitions?  This would e.g. fix the problem of broken/missing
(think Windows) locale definitions.  On the other hand, the whole locale
concept is so ugly that it is doubtful whether we should give it more
reason to live... :-)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen