perl-unicode

Unicode::Map

1999-11-11 08:48:53
Guys,

you are most certainly aware that we've currently two modules doing
character mappings to and from Unicode. This is Unicode::Map8 for 8 bit
character sets done by Gisle Aas and Unicode::Map by me basically able
to do any n->m bit conversions. The obvious disadvantages of this
situation are:

   * One needs to install two modules doing similar tasks
   * The modules have a (slightly) different syntax
   * We've two different map file structures
   * Map files are not synchronized with related projects, especially
     Tcl.

Especially Unicode::Map has these problems:

   * Character mappings are based on the mappings of Unicode Version 1.1
     AND some at this point better quality / different map files from
     another destination
   * The "binary" mapfile is complicated at places where it's not needed
   * The module applies the module "Startup". I had quite some plans
     with this a while ago but basically it is not needed and confuses.

Gisle's Unicode::Map8 implementation very straight. Basically
Unicode::Map8 builds perl tables to map, whereas Unicode::Map uses Hashs
to map. Unicode::Map can therefore easily handle 16bit->16bit or
n*8bit->m*8bit conversions, Unicode::Map8 would need some clever
extension.

Recently I had the opportunity to meet Gisle in order to figure out some
way to improve the situation. Basically both of us are very busy,
disabling us from extending Gisle's code to 16bit conversions and thus
killing Unicode::Map. We agreed to at least make our modules fully
compatible, so one would simply need to change a "use" statement to
change the modules, while leaving the rest of things the same. One can
easily also / additionally write a single facade applying the
appropriate module. The good news are that Gisle did his job.

The very bad news is I didn't, and it looks I'll hardly find time in the
next months. I'm currently working more or less with Java, only, and
find less then ever expected time to work with perl.

So, ladies and gents, is there some folk out to take over my part?

Team up with Gisle, get in touch with Tcl / Python people...

In case some group / someone wants to adopt Unicode::Map I'll be happy
to consult as much as can! It's only it looks I can't do any coding.

Sorry for no better news, and thanks in advance for your efforts!

Have fun!

(I don't subscribe this mailing list currently; Jarkko pointed me at it.
How do I subscribe?)