perl-unicode

A question on utf8

2000-08-31 13:25:41
All,

I am new to perl unicode... So, mind me if this question sounds stupid.

I have perl 5.6 insstalled on solaris 2.7 box.

Doesn't it the case that, if we have 'use utf8' pragma in a block and if
we do length function on a variable, it should have returned number of
characters and not number of bytes???

But when I am trying to do that, it returns number of bytes and not
characters..

And second question.. we have perl5.6 installed on our box as I've said.
So, do we still need to install Unicode::Map and Unicode::Map8 or
Unicode::String module from CPAN site??? what is the difference between
using any of those module and useing 'use utf8' pragma???

Any idea??

TIA

Niral