perl-unicode

RE: Source data for perl encodings

2001-01-07 21:34:34
nick(_at_)ing-simmons(_dot_)net writes:
I have a prototype of our own "engine" which can translate one
single/multi-byte encoding to another but need good tables
to drive it.

Please consider using the data tables from ICU. They are in plain-text form and
Asian encodings are included.

I haven't seen your engine, but I've created such engines and worked on engines
others have created. They aren't easy to do. Just supporting a basic set of
Internet encodings will be a difficult undertaking. Maybe you've got it all
worked out, in which case hats off to you. Otherwise I would recommend a
strategy whereby you implement a core set of single-byte conversions (for, say,
Western Europe, Central Europe, and Cyrillic languages) with an internal engine
and plan to incorporate an optional ICU hook-up for anything else. That way you
don't have to maintain and distribute large Asian encoding tables.

=Ed

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/