perl-unicode

RE: Source data for perl encodings

2001-01-08 08:10:51

    Ed> I haven't seen your engine, but I've created such engines and worked
    Ed> on engines others have created. They aren't easy to do. Just
    Ed> supporting a basic set of Internet encodings will be a difficult
    Ed> undertaking. Maybe you've got it all worked out, in which case hats
    Ed> off to you. Otherwise I would recommend a strategy whereby you
    Ed> implement a core set of single-byte conversions (for, say, Western
    Ed> Europe, Central Europe, and Cyrillic languages) with an internal
    Ed> engine and plan to incorporate an optional ICU hook-up for anything
    Ed> else. That way you don't have to maintain and distribute large Asian
    Ed> encoding tables.

What would be nice is some variation of Bruno Haible's libiconv that allows
dynamic loading of mapping tables.  Then Perl would have reasonable conversion
capability at about 1/16 the size of ICU.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson