perl-unicode

iso-2022-jp, adding encodings..

2001-06-15 04:01:11

Ok, I'm a bit confused..

How exactly do you add a new charset map to Unicode::Map? Where do you get the
encodings from? Where are they defined?

I saw your reference to ftp://ftp.unicode.org/MAPPINGS, but that just points
to a file, not a directory of mapping sets.

All I'm trying to do is convert from UTF8 to iso-2022-jp ( the form of shift
jis that is used in email...) any help on how to do this would be greatly
appreciated...

(ps - the charset that I'm talking about can be found at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

It would be really, really cool if perl had the same charset codes, or at least
an alias to them. That way, one wouldn't have to go through this 'is the charset
there' junk. Unfortunately there seems to be 10 aliases for charsets all over
the place.

Ed