perl-unicode

Re: iso-2022-jp, adding encodings..

2001-06-18 14:38:03
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Edward Peschko wrote:

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:42:39PM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:

  Unfortunately, Unicode::String (and Unicode::Map8) cannot handle 16-bit
CJKV strings (and that's the reason why I developed Jcode).

Hmm.. I guess I wanted a universal solution. Why can't Unicode::Map8 handle
16-bit CJKV strings? Why can't it be Unicode::Map?

Because 8-bit is very easy to optimize for size and performance in Perl
(in many cases they can be boiled down to just a couple of executable
statements) while the more general n-bit cases are significantly more
difficult. If you are looking for the 'I don't care if it is 7, 8, 16 or
32 bits, I just want it to work' module, that is what 'Unicode::MapUTF8'
is for.

--
Benjamin Franz

"I am starting to get seriously annoyed by the list's default of sending
replies only to the 'From:' address."