perl-unicode

Re: DBD:mysql and UNICODE

2001-08-02 13:06:48
* Vuillemot, Ward W wrote:
UNICODE is a character encoding

Not really. Commonly a character encoding is some mapping between
characters and bytes, while Unicode is a mapping between numbers
(code points) and characters.

When I output to the web I will need to convert UNICODE to some
appropriate character-set based upon the language selection.

The term "charset" or "character set" is considered harmful and
shouldn't be used, please see
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful for the details.

If you want to store you characters you must translate them to bytes
or sequences of bytes, since this is the storage unit of most computers.

[...] can I just avoid it and send the UNICODE data directly to a
web-browser and let the browser do whatever is necessary.

Not possible, since the browser retrieves a stream of bytes and must
re-translate those bytes into characters in order to parse the data.
--
Björn Höhrmann { mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de }
http://www.bjoernsworld.de