perl-unicode

Re: UTF-8 in web pages

2001-08-05 04:36:21
Andrew McNaughton wrote on 2001-08-05 10:38 UTC:
You can send Unicode directly to the Web browser. Just make sure you
announce in the HTTP header that the body is encoded in UTF-8.

Sounds nice, but in practice this excludes a lot of users still.

Not really. All M$-Win32 browsers support UTF-8 flawlessly. Under Unix,
you have to upgrade from Netscape 4 to Mozilla though, otherwise you'll
get everything in just one single ugly font size. But you want to make
that upgrade anyway, since Netscape 4.77 crashes on average every 10
clicks or so, is not maintained any more and has deteriorated to a
completely useless piece of junk software. If you prefer a text mode
browser under Linux, I highly recommend W3M, which has now excellent
UTF-8 support and is also in other respects far better and more
convenient to use (much like less) than e.g. lynx.

I will convert all my web pages to UTF-8 shortly, and I will also
eliminate the use of numeric character references and entities, in order
to make the HTML source code more readable for myself. I Just wait
until all my usual favourite editors fully support UTF-8 locales.
Vim 6.0 has just moved from alpha to beta test and looks very promising:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

Markus