perl-unicode

RE: DBD:mysql and UNICODE

2001-08-05 22:31:41
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Markus Kuhn wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Vuillemot, Ward W wrote:
UNICODE is a character encoding that can handle any character irrespective
of language
When I output to the web I will need to convert UNICODE to some appropriate
character-set
based upon the language selection.
Is this correct?

You can send Unicode directly to the Web browser. Just make sure you
announce in the HTTP header that the body is encoded in UTF-8.

Examples:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#examples

If the locale fonts are not already in Unicode (they are today
on all Windows and Mac machines, Linux and other Unices are following
in the most recent versions), then it is the duty of the web browser
to convert from Unicode into the local font encoding.

Sounds nice, but in practice this excludes a lot of users still.

Andrew

--
Andrew McNaughton
Scoop Media Ltd

"Every year the international financial system kills more people than the
second world war. But at least Hitler was mad ... "
        -- Ken Livingstone