perl-unicode

Re: UTF-8 Terminals

2001-11-10 09:58:11
Hardly anyone needs full Unicode. If all you are interested in are
European scripts and symbols for instance, then the 3 kilocharacters of
the Unicode subset MES-3 are more than good enough for your needs, and
the XFree86 standard xterm fonts 6x13, 8x13, 9x15, 9x18, 10x20 have
covered MES-3 for over a year now and are widely used.

People who can read CJK glyphs have used larger font sizes so far and
will continue to do so in the future.

I forget exactly which program it was I saw recently but it had a nice
variation for showing the Unicode fonts it didn't know much about:
instead of showing the customary empty/black boxes or upside-down
exclamation marks, it did have some knowledge of the *script ranges*
it didn't know more about, so it showed little generic icons:
a katakana symbol (again, I have no idea what it was :-), but I
recognized it to be kata) where there were katakana, a devanagari
symbol where there was Indic, an Arabic gyph where there were Arabic
letters, and so on.  So even if the font didn't have all the glyphs
available, you could still see a general idea of what you had.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen