perl-unicode

Re: UTF-8 Terminals

2001-11-12 14:50:21
Hi,

At Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:19:21 +0000,
Markus Kuhn wrote:

Hardly anyone needs full Unicode. If all you are interested in are
European scripts and symbols for instance, then the 3 kilocharacters of
the Unicode subset MES-3 are more than good enough for your needs, and
the XFree86 standard xterm fonts 6x13, 8x13, 9x15, 9x18, 10x20 have
covered MES-3 for over a year now and are widely used.

It is true that hardly anyonw needs full Unicode.  However, it is
different from people to people which subset of Unicode they need.
For example, as you said, MES-3 would be a good subset for European
people.  People from other countries needs other subsets.

Since XFree86 is a single distribution for the whole world, it should
satisfy needs for people all over the world.

People who can read CJK glyphs have used larger font sizes so far and
will continue to do so in the future.

True.  Japanese people like 7x14 + 14x14 fonts and Korean and Chinese
people like 8x16 + 16x16 fonts.

XTerm has used 6x13 font as default (because "fixed" font was 6x13).
Thus, it is reasonable way to have 12x13 font so that XTerm with the
default setting can display as many characters as possible (including
CJK scripts).  I think it is not too small for CJK glyphs because
there are small (of course not so beautiful) fonts, for example
10x10 and 12x12, for Japanese.

BTW, did you now /efont/ project
  http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/efont/index.html
  http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/efont/unicode/index.html
which has 10, 12, 14, 16, and 24 pixels Unicode fonts ?
The web page has a table of subsets these fonts cover.
Though I am not taking part in the project, I hope thse fonts
will be used widely like ETL intlfonts.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota(_at_)debian(_dot_)org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/