perl-unicode

Re: UTF-8 Terminals

2001-11-10 11:41:47
On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:07:20PM +0100, Andreas Marcel Riechert wrote:
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> writes:

I forget exactly which program it was I saw recently but it had a nice
variation for showing the Unicode fonts it didn't know much about:
instead of showing the customary empty/black boxes or upside-down
exclamation marks, it did have some knowledge of the *script ranges*
it didn't know more about, so it showed little generic icons:
a katakana symbol (again, I have no idea what it was :-), but I
recognized it to be kata) where there were katakana, a devanagari
symbol where there was Indic, an Arabic gyph where there were Arabic
letters, and so on.  So even if the font didn't have all the glyphs
available, you could still see a general idea of what you had.

Maybe you are talking about the "Last Resort Font":
See eg.
http://fonts.apple.com/LastResort/LastResort.html

Andreas

Ahhh, that must have been it.  Thanks.