perl-unicode

FYI: yudit to handle Unicode text

2002-02-14 11:44:59
jhi, nick, and forks @ perl-unicode,

  I am now struggling to get Encode straight, among other things.
In a course of doing so I am beginning to get a feeling that none of us are using decent tool to view decent Unicode text. Here I mean Unicode, not just Ascii + your language. What tool are you using to see the text you (en|de)coded? Web browsers? xterm that comes with XFree4? I just found yudit, a Xwindow text editor definitely for this purpose.

  Just go to

http://www.yudit.org/

And get a source. Just configure -> make -> make install will do (did on my FreeBSD/i386 and MacOS X). startx if you have not. and 'yudit &'. If you are using XFree 4.x, just choose 'misc' for font and most of the languages are covered. As an editor its feature set is as limited as (pico|ee|Simple Text|Notepad.exe). But as a Unicode (viewer|editor) it has significant advantage over (viewer|editor) that are based upon conventional apps which Unicode support is added later on.

* It shows "Unicode Number" in the place of the character where no font is available. It shows the character like

+---+
|f f|
|f e|
+---+ for U+fffe, for instance.

* It supports bidirectional characters and devanagari
* It comes with various input methods

The implication of the first one is especially useful because you can now autogenerate table with something like 'for my $c (0..\xffff){print chr($c);}' and see what is actually inside (This approach is too much for an ordinary editor; emacs spits you with a bunch of \0123 ....)

  Hope this tip helps....

Dan the Man with Too Many Glyphs to Browse