perl-unicode

Re: FYI: yudit to handle Unicode text

2002-02-14 13:56:57
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
jhi, nick, and forks @ perl-unicode,

  I am now struggling to get Encode straight, among other things.
  In a course of doing so I am beginning to get a feeling that none of
us are using decent tool to view decent Unicode text.  Here I mean
Unicode, not just Ascii + your language.
  What tool are you using to see the text you (en|de)coded?  Web
browsers? xterm that comes with XFree4?  I just found yudit, a Xwindow
text editor definitely for this purpose.

  Just go to

http://www.yudit.org/

I am using the Yudit that was available on the SuSE6.4 CDROMs.
I have also thrown a bunch of Unicode fonts (including some TTFs)
at my /usr/X11R6/...

I am also playing with an editor-in-Java Jedit which makes a reasonable
stab at displaying your test file - but I don't know what it is
supposed to look like. (Java has been Unicode from day-0 as far as I know.)

  And get a source.  Just configure -> make -> make install will do (did
on my FreeBSD/i386 and MacOS X).  startx if you have not.  and 'yudit &'.
  If you are using XFree 4.x, just choose 'misc' for font and most of
the languages are covered.

misc font seemed a little klunky for _my_ hot-spot (Phonetics).
But I have not grabbed new copies for several months now.

  As an editor its feature set is as limited as (pico|ee|Simple
Text|Notepad.exe).  But as a Unicode (viewer|editor) it has significant
advantage over (viewer|editor) that are based upon conventional apps
which Unicode support is added later on.

* It shows "Unicode Number" in the place of the character where no font
is available.  It shows the character like

+---+
|f f|
|f e|
+---+ for U+fffe, for instance.

* It supports bidirectional characters and devanagari
* It comes with various input methods

  The implication of the first one is especially useful because you can
now autogenerate table with something like 'for my $c (0..\xffff){print
chr($c);}' and see what is actually inside (This approach is too much
for an ordinary editor;  emacs spits you with a bunch of \0123 ....)

  Hope this tip helps....

Dan the Man with Too Many Glyphs to Browse

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/