perl-unicode

Re: FYI: yudit to handle Unicode text

2002-02-14 14:37:01
Bart Schuller wrote on 2002-02-14 21:05 UTC:
misc font seemed a little klunky for _my_ hot-spot (Phonetics).
But I have not grabbed new copies for several months now.

I've noticed that for font "fixed(misc)" the coverage is better in the
20pt version than in the smaller ones. Otherwise there's always unifont
(http://czyborra.com/unifont/).

You will find that many of the -misc-fixed-*-iso10646-1 fonts have
better coverage than Unifont. In particular, the fonts 6x13, 8x13, 9x15,
9x18, 10x20 cover the MES-3 repertoire of Unicode 3.0 completely, which
covers all IPA glyphs. Unifont doesn't and it's combining characters
won't work with xterm either, which is particularly important for IPA.

For more information on coverage, check the README file of the ucs-fonts
package:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html

Information on UTF-8 editors:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

There is not only Yudit, but also vim 6.0 and mined2000. With
restrictions also Emacs 21. Emacs 22 will have proper native UTF-8
support (the MULE stuff is currently completely rewritten for Unicode
support).

Markus
(XFree86 -misc-fixed-* font maintainer)