perl-unicode

Re: [Encode] 8.3 rules sucks! check83.pl is obsolete!

2002-03-25 02:59:55
On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:06:35PM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:
  I am now in the middle of linting filenames.  I have found check83.pl
terribly obsolete.
perl ../perl/Porting/check83.pl

Whoa there, wait!

  Yields nothing but filenames like "7bit-greek.enc" is an obvious
violation.

The other parts of perl, too, has names longer than 8.3. even UNIVERSAL.pm
has a 9.2 name. This is not a problem, per se.

The check83.pl checks for *duplicates* in 8.3 file system. This is to say,
if I have two files, named

    DanKogaiSan.pm
    DanKogaiHacker.pm

They will both become 'Dankogai.pm' in 8.3 filesystems, yielding a conflict.

Hence, I'm not aware of any need to retrofit all the encoding files into
8.3 format, nor is there a *fix* Supported to Supports, EncFormat to
Format/Enc, or other craziness. The merit of enc => ucm is a separate issue
altogether, and I'm not very convinced the size bloat is worth it.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/