perl-unicode

Re: [Encode] 8.3 rules sucks! check83.pl is obsolete!

2002-03-25 05:38:31
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 06:59 , Autrijus Tang wrote:
Whoa there, wait!

  Yields nothing but filenames like "7bit-greek.enc" is an obvious
violation.

The other parts of perl, too, has names longer than 8.3. even
UNIVERSAL.pm
has a 9.2 name. This is not a problem, per se.

  I have notice that, too.  But isn't duplicate prevention enough?

It is.

I am
no expert in vanilla FAT and vanilla DOS but if UNIVERSAL.pm gets
truncated to UNIVERSA.pm, isn't

  use UNIVERAL;

 in trouble?  Or perl on such systems are smart enough to load
UNIVERSA.pm (I guess this is the case).

They load UNIVERSAL.pm and the OS truncates it and finds UNIVERSA.pm.

The check83.pl checks for *duplicates* in 8.3 file system. This is to
say,
if I have two files, named

    DanKogaiSan.pm
    DanKogaiHacker.pm

They will both become 'Dankogai.pm' in 8.3 filesystems, yielding a
conflict.

  Thus ISO_2022_JP.pm and ISO_2022_JP_1.pm was conflicting.

Hence, I'm not aware of any need to retrofit all the encoding files into
8.3 format, nor is there a *fix* Supported to Supports, EncFormat to
Format/Enc, or other craziness. The merit of enc => ucm is a separate
issue
altogether, and I'm not very convinced the size bloat is worth it.

  Size reduction was a byproduct of */Makefile.PL linting.
  As for "Encode::Supports", there is another concern in perldoc;  is
perldoc smart enough to 8.3-ize filenames?

Same logic as above works - name passed to OS is still the long one.

  Well, I didn't really enjoy renaming files myself....

Dan the Man with Too Many Files to Watch Over
--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/