perl-unicode

Re: [Encode] How to support (Apple's) compound Unicode characters?

2002-04-01 04:42:18
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
On Monday, April 1, 2002, at 07:33 , Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
  I think I have found the reason why some of the encodings were
missing
from Tcl's *.enc, which later turned into *.ucm.
  Apple makes use of Unicode compound characters too extensively, which
doesn't go well with .ucm, not to mention *.enc

encengine can convert UTF-8 sequences for sequences of
characters - but .ucm would need tweaking to allow
multiple <UNNNN>:

<UNNNN><UMMMM> \xYYYY

  I have recently found this undocumented feature but dared not use it.

I was not aware it was actually implemented ;-)

  I think it looks better if it were written as

<UNNNN+UMMMM> \xYY\xYY ....

I don't like the <UNNNN+UMMMM> part it will make the parsing messier.
The \xYY\xYY is of course what I meant ;-)

  it won't take much effort to fix it.  I think I can work it out
myself.  Should we feed this back to IBM?

Why not?

We would have to be "sure" that Unicode was normalized as well.

  Right.  This is rather a tough part but Apple is one of the loudest
advocate of Unicode so I *think* their map is correct.

Dan the Encode Maintainer
--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/