perl-unicode

How to name CJK ideographs

2002-10-25 12:30:09
On Saturday, Oct 26, 2002, at 03:55 Asia/Tokyo, Jungshik Shin wrote:
  Another possibility is 'meaning-pronunciation' index. I believe
this is one of a few ways to refer to CJK characters (say, over the phone)
in all CJK countries. However, to do this, we need much more raw data
(more or less like a small dictionary) than UniHan DB provides because
it lists meanings of characters in English only.

That's one thing I wish I could do -- "Dan" as in "Bomb" because I can't go like "YOU five ef three ee" :) I know that's difficult but it strikes me to find out we still have no way to canonically specify (Hanzi|Kanji|Hanja) after all these years (besides Unicode code points but who the heck wants to do so ?).

perl -e 'print "\x{5c0f}\x{98fc} \x{5f3e}\n";