perl-unicode

Re: How to name CJK ideographs

2002-10-25 14:30:05

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Dan Kogai wrote:

On Saturday, Oct 26, 2002, at 03:55 Asia/Tokyo, Jungshik Shin wrote:
  Another possibility is 'meaning-pronunciation' index. I believe
this is one of a few ways to refer to CJK characters (say, over the
phone)
in all CJK countries. However, to do this, we need much more raw data
(more or less like a small dictionary) than UniHan DB provides because
it lists meanings of characters in English only.

That's one thing I wish I could do -- "Dan" as in "Bomb" because I
can't go like "YOU five ef three ee" :)  I know that's difficult but it

  Until such a time as you can do that or somebody with infinite amount
of free time volunteers :-), how about "\N{life:sheng1}" for zh and
"\N{life:saeng}" for ko and so forth? Nothing fancy but using
what's available in UniHan DB.  Then, I came to wonder in this
age of Unicode, why we have to bother to use '\N{....}' when we can just
directly use  "生" in perl. I know there are some cases where 'N{...}'
is necessary and useful.... Another question came up.  do we really
need meaning-pronunciation index in native languages?  If one can enter
meaning-pronunciation inside 'N{...}', there would be really no reason
not to directly type the character in question. Therefore, 'N{...}'
is kinda fallback for those who can't enter CJK characters directly and
'meaning-pronunciation' in English and Romanized form is all we need for
'\N{....}', isn't it?

  Just my two hundredths of €  .....

  Jungshik