perl-unicode

Re: ANNOUNCE: Unicode::Collate::allkeys v 3.1.1.1

2003-05-15 07:30:05
The problem is that if an author of a module (or script) needs to use
Unicode::Collate then they need to make sure that there is an
allkeys.txt file installed.

Since you can not directly write a dependency on a .txt file that CPAN
will pick up and offer to install I proposed U::C::allkeys.pm as a
simple module that provides the allkeys.txt file and dummy module to
satisfy the dependency check.

However, if module authors start writing that as a dependency then
anyone who is already using Unicode::Collate and has tailored
allkeys.txt will have that file blown away when U::C::allkeys is
installed.

Also if they tailor the file put into place by U::C::allkeys, if an
upgrade of that module occurs then they will lose their tailoring.

I thought separating the unicode provided file from the custom one
might be a preferred way to do it.

If you don't think anyone will edit allkeys.txt directly, but will
always use the table argument to name the alternate then I agree that
there is no problem.

I hope that clarified things...

               -ben