perl-unicode

Re: i know it's utf-8, how can i force perl to see it that way

2003-06-16 09:30:13
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:16:33AM -0400, Mark Lewellen wrote:
I had the same problem, and worked around it by using _utf8_on() from
Encode on the mysql query results.

I tried that, but it doesn't help.

Also, as a suggestion to the authors/documentors of Encode:  it would
be helpful to have more explanation of (& warnings about) the UTF-8
flag, how/why it works, functions that manipulate it, and warnings about
common problems, such as the current one.

I also tried decode("utf8", $octets, Encode::FB_CROAK );
which should die with an error message if it encounters if $octets
contains incorrect utf8.  it never dies, just gives me an empty string.

somebody pointed out to me that mysql is messing with my bits:

the string i write into the db is 6 characters long:
"ABc\N{greek:alpha}\x{00df}\N{cyrillic:e}"
[...]
    cyrrillic e             044D    1101000110001101
[...]
what i get back from the db is
[...]
    ?                               11010001
    ?                               00111111

so I'm looking into that right now.  so far i've found out that
mysql doesn't mess with greek letters ;-)

but that still leaves the question: how do i handle malformed utf8 ?
and why isn't decode("utf8", $octets, Encode::FB_CROAK ); giving
me an error message?

--
Brigitte       'I never met a chocolate I didnt like'         Jellinek
bjelli(_at_)horus(_dot_)at