perl-unicode

Re: i know it's utf-8, how can i force perl to see it that way

2003-06-16 10:30:06
Brigitte Jellinek wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:16:33AM -0400, Mark Lewellen wrote:

I had the same problem, and worked around it by using _utf8_on() from
Encode on the mysql query results.

I tried that, but it doesn't help.
We're using perl 5.8.0 with the version of Encode which comes with it and the approach described works just fine for us. We're using it with data returned through DBI from MySQL 3.23. Try using Devel::Peek::Dump() to have a look at the scalar before and after.

Also, a roundabout way of checking if a string really _is_ utf-8 is flicking the utf-8 flag on (as described by Mark Lewellen) and then use Encode::is_utf8() with the appriate CHECK flag.

somebody pointed out to me that mysql is messing with my bits:
I haven't heard this before and we haven't as yet experienced it. I'd be very very interested to know more.

/Kim Scheibel