perl-unicode

Re: gmake (perl-5.8.6) fails on z/OS

2005-07-26 10:35:31
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 03:29:43PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:22:55AM -0700, rajarshi das wrote:
Hi,
I made the following modifications to utf8.c :
#ifdef EBCDIC
      uv = NATIVE_TO_UTF(uv);
#endif

Where in utf8.c? Your description of what you changed is inadequate for
anyone else to understand the context of your change.

I tried redoing it with a clean build, but it still
fails.

Why does configpm generate errors ?

I don't know. I don't fully understand the workings of how perl's UTF-8
implementation is supposed to work on EBCDIC platforms.

1: Is that the only change you've made to the source code?
2: Without that change, how does your build fail? How do the errors differ?

And some further questions:

what exactly was the change you made? Did you wrap the existing
    uv = NATIVE_TO_UTF(uv)
line with #ifdef, #endif; or did you add three extra lines somewhere, and
if so, where? The usual way of providing this information is as the output
of the diff command (if your system supports it), in fact preferably
'diff -u'.

Why have you made this change? Did you read somewhere that it was
necessary, and if so, where did you read this? (Url please.) If not,
how did you come to the conclusion that the change was required? And what
problem were you trying to fix?

Dave

--
Hofstadter's Law:
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account