Re: Mystery Mailing

1995-10-11 11:59:11

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:

Jon Lewis <jlewis(_at_)inorganic5(_dot_)chem(_dot_)ufl(_dot_)edu> wrote:
Can anything be done at the list server system to track where this came
from?

I've already tried to track it down.  It seems to emanate from a machine
(most likely a PC which is turned off currently) called pm1-62.ixc.net which
is using the mailer at cornell.edu to distribute the message.
However, perhaps in a feeble attempt to throw us off, the message ID
appears to be generated on ppp34.ingress.com (a dialup line, I presume).

 I've received at least half a dozen copies from one other mailing
list that they seem to be hitting daily.

I recently met the head of the Silicon Valley  Hi-Tech Computer Crimes
Division of the FBI at a neighboring Rotary Club meeting after his speech.
They are apparently very involved with Internet related fraud, etc.  I'm
not sure if this "Mystery Mailing" qualifies as some type of crime, but
feel this *is* the kind of "anonymous" crap which needs to be dealt with,
or at least looked into/investigated further.  If you can forward me *any*
point of origin evidence, I will personally see to it that the information is
routed to this special FBI unit.

Regards,

Eric Hilding
eric(_at_)garlic(_dot_)com        Not to worry...I gargled *before* sending
this!
eric(_at_)hilding(_dot_)com