Re: Procmail and Elm's frm?

1995-10-17 04:49:51
Louis J. LaBash Jr. wrote
I'm using "procmail" with Elm and most of my mail, thrown by procmail,
seems to be "read", when I *haven't*, or at least that is what Elm's
"frm" says.

Is there some kind of flag(s) in the mail-box-files to indicate this?
Does the Access, Change, and Modify times of the file play any role?

More importantly, is there a fix?

        Elm is a bit braindead when dealing with files that it does
        not consider your spool mail file.  The status flags
        like 'N' and 'O' are only shown for the system mailbox file.
        I've heard a rumor that the dudes in charge of elm are
        fixing this for the next version.  In the meantime, you
        can fool elm into thinking that your other files are
        your system mail spool file by setting the environment
        variable MAIL.  I set up aliases like this:

        % alias mail 'setenv MAIL /path/to/my/personal/mail ; elm'
        % alias pmail 'setenv MAIL /path/to/my/procmail/mail ; elm'

        and so on for all my mailboxes, and then use the
        aliases to read my mail instead of directly running elm.

        Hope this helps.

                                        Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve(_at_)khoral(_dot_)com
steve(_at_)haunt(_dot_)com
Khoral Research Inc.          | PHONE: (505) 837-6500
6001 Indian School, Suite 200 | FAX:   (505) 881-3842
Albuquerque, NM 87110         | URL: http://www.khoral.com/