Re: Drop MIME messages (Re: mime)

1995-10-17 20:33:43
Our friend, Howard Goldstein <hg(_at_)penny(_dot_)n2wx(_dot_)ampr(_dot_)org>,
wrote:

Please be careful with this one.  Some mailreaders (PINE for example) put
the MIME-Version header in all messages, even those lacking MIME content.

                and elm and mh if you have mhnedit: auto in your .mh_profile or
something like that.

Might want to modify the recipe like this:

:0 h
/dev/null

PINE seems to tack a Content-Type header on when it tries to MIME
something.  MULTIPART/MIXED might not be a universally  acceptable filter
parameter for you, but it could be worth experimenting with.

                I would think that it depends a little bit more on the type.
Most multipart/mixed letters are possible to read. Base64,
quoted-printable, etc are not human readable (well, I do have a friend
that can sight read rot13 but....).  It would seem that you would dump
it and auto-reply with a `do not send mime.'  Alternatively you would
_get_mime_.  It is a good thing.  It is your friend and it will be here
for a _long_ time.  So, having said that joyous thing.  I offer a
suggestion about what should be used:

:0 H
{
                # tell them
}

You might be able to snaz it up with a couple of other things.  I could
not think of a way to get all the cases and only write the auto-reply
once (I suppose INCLUDERC).  So I only wrote one...

Soren