Re: Problem getting started

1995-10-26 03:46:46
On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, NA/EBC/FB/TV Rabbe Fogelholm +46 8 422 0059 wrote:

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie to procmail, having trouble getting started.

I then prepared a .forward file as explained in the procmail(1) man
pages, and made it world readable.

I then prepared a simple .procmailrc file with no recipes at all.

I'm a newbie myself but it looks like that a "simple .procmailrc file
with no recipes at all" wouldn't work at all. You should at least have
PATH=/whatever/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox

I then tried to send mail to myself. No mail was delivered to my usual
mailbox (/usr/spool/mail/qbcholm).

It should be somewhere around. Have a look in what you are using as MAILDIR
On the other hand your .forward might work but doesn't "see" procmail
executable. Check if it is in your $PATH (ask which procmail from your
$HOME).

And one other thing: when I first started procmail it changed permissions
on my /usr/mail/ss file: -rw-------- (used to be -rw-rw---). After a
short agony (as my knowledge of computers in general and mail in
particular is infinitely small) and using practical engineering approach
(trying....trying...trying....argh....trying...etc) I changed permissions
to -rwxrw---- and now procmail works just fine or probably even better
(ask me in a few years).

Sergei Senin
University of Portsmouth
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Microwave, Telecommunications and Signal Processing Research Group