Re: [Linux-ISP] Re: checking logins for pop3

1995-10-31 21:41:20
On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Tim 'pass the Prozac' Sailer wrote:

Pine had no trouble reading messages like this, so I decided to try Pine's
in.pop3d, and it worked as well.  We had some problem many weeks ago with
in.pop3d, and that was the reason we switched to the Qualcomm popper...but
now I can't remember what the problem was.

The real strange thing about this is you could have *no* pop3d running
and Pine will still read the mail, since it uses imapd... :)

Um...pine could read it with no imapd too since it's setup here to read
directly from the /var/spool/mail/$user file.

I suppose the people at University of Washington do things differently
than the people at University of California.  Both Pine (reading the mail
spool directly) and Pine's pop3d read the file just fine.  Popper chokes
on it.  I haven't tried imap...I never learned the commands necessary to
talk directly to impad as I can with pop3d.