Re: [Linux-ISP] Re: checking logins for pop3

1995-11-01 07:58:27
Fu Bar <fubar(_at_)yoda(_dot_)fdt(_dot_)net> wrote:
This message comes from pop_dropcopy.c, but I'm not quite sure what
causes it.  The headers in his mail spool on several messages were pretty
strange:

From oyster::mrgate::"a1::lezotte, philip a."@oyster.monsanto.com  Wed
Oct 18 14:21:51 1995

I made a backup copy of the mail file, and then edited all the "From "
and "From: " lines, and then popper was able to handle the file.
Manually fixing people's mail isn't much of a solution though.

Pine had no trouble reading messages like this, so I decided to try Pine's
in.pop3d, and it worked as well.  We had some problem many weeks ago with

Is this header "bad" or does it simply expose a bug in popper?  Could an

It exposes a bug in popper, the header is valid.

/etc/procmailrc using formail perhaps be used to "clean up" headers on
incoming messages?

Of course.  Something like that can be kludged in.

:0
| formail -I "From STRANGE_ADDRESS  $MATCH"

But the real solution is fixing the popper.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

The eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not re-curse!