Can p-mail bounce mail from certain subscribers on mail lists

1995-11-09 22:00:17
Sorry for the confusing subject line but I was trying to shoehorn too
much info into a small subject line.

A friend of mine (who isn't too much of a Unix hacker) asked me the
following question. He maintains a mailing list which is basically
adding subscribers to a file in his home directory. The alias for the
mailling list points to this file.

Let us call this mailling list "unmod"

Now he would like to bounce mail from certain subscribers sent to the
mailing list back to them so that they feel that their message was
sent to everyone. Let us call them foo(_at_)foo(_dot_)com,
bar(_at_)bar(_dot_)com etc.

Mail from other subscribers should go through normally

He can ask his sys admin to create another list called "unmod-"

I thought of the following strategy involving procmail which might not
work at all

The file containing the list of subscribers on "unmod" now has only
his email address. procmail is invoked from his .forward file

The recipe looks somewhat like this

:0 :
* From.unmod-owner*
# Now I am lost here
{
# If messages arrive from "targeted" subscribers, use formail to
# bounce mail back to them after massaging the headers so they feel
# everything is cool (that they haven't been removed from the list)
* From foo(_at_)foo(_dot_)com
* From bar(_at_)bar(_dot_)com
???
else
# The mailing list "unmod-" has the complete list of subscribers
# Use formail to send the message to this list.
??
}

My apologiies if this topic is inappropiate for this list but he wants
some form of pseudo-moderation but doesn't have access to a full
fledged mail server. He considers me a mail filter guru (since I dream
of the crazy uses for procmail :-) but as you have seen I have no clue
beyond the comments :-( so would appreciate any help

Thanks, Yusuf
yusufg(_at_)cc(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu