Re: Utility to maintain user addresses

1995-12-14 10:07:34
From: John T Ellis <ellis(_at_)cig(_dot_)mcel(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com>
Date: Thu  Dec 14,  3:17pm

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Eric Hilding wrote:

[snip]
Here's what I use...strictly for userid/e-mail addresses left justified
into a plain text file:

   | formail -rtzxTo: >>$HOME/procmail/userid.log

I think the -rtzxTo: came from David Tamkin or Alan Stebbins or Hal Wine
:-)

You can purge out duplicates with a perl script, etc.

Regards,

Eric Hilding
eric(_at_)hilding(_dot_)com

So.....do you or anyone else on the list have a script (perl, tcl, sh)
that will do this?  Yes, easy enough to write, but if it's already
written.....

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------+------------------------------------------------
  John T. Ellis +86-1-843-7222 |  You can never tell which way the train
   Motorola Cellular - Beijing |       went by looking at the track.
       ellis(_at_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com       |

Maybe you could use the -D feature in formail:

     -D maxlen idcache
          Formail will detect if the Message-ID  of  the  current
          message  has already been seen using an idcache file of
          approximately maxlen size.  If not splitting,  it  will
          return  success  if  a  duplicate  has  been found.  If
          splitting, it will not output duplicate  messages.   If
          used  in  conjunction with -r, formail will look at the
          mail address of the sender instead at the Message-ID.

I only use this feature to toss cross-posted mail items (I'm on a lot of
mailing lists).  This is what I do in my .procmailrc:

:0:
*?formail -D 12288 $HOME/.messids/incoming
/dev/null

Perhaps

:0:
*?formail -rD 12288 $HOME/procmail/userid.log
/dev/null

would work?

--
Internet: dummy(_at_)emf(_dot_)net                  In real life: Robert Brown,
              >> Kill your television! <<              in sunny Berkeley, CA
            >> Embargo China, not Cuba. <<             waiting for The Big One
        ** finger dummy(_at_)emf(_dot_)net for PGP key **         (510) 464-4604