Re: aliases and details

1995-12-14 14:20:23

Hi,

I figured out my problem with "user+detail(_at_)machine" addressing.
If you've got procmail as your local mailer, you don't need to set up
your .forward file.  Just make your .procmailrc

Anyway, I'm trying to tackle the problem of aliases and "user+detail"
mail.  For example, I've aliased user "kevin" to my account "kykim".
Now when I send mail to "kevin+test", I want it to go to "kykim+test",
but it just goes to "kykim".

Is this a procmail configuration or sendmail configuration problem?

thanks,
-kevin

Ah! You've probably run into the age-old alias misconception. When you alias
something to somebody else, the To: address stays the same.. In other
words, kykim needs something that looks for kevin+test, because the envelope
doesn't change on the message.
 (this is at least one of the problems you're most likely experiencing)

It's analogous to somebody sending snail mail to Joe Schmoe.. Joe sees
the message, realizes its for his brother, and hand delivers it to Bill.
The envelope on the Message is still addressed to Joe even though it's now
in Bill's mailbox.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University
                        doug(_at_)eng(_dot_)auburn(_dot_)edu
                Pro is to Con as progress is to congress