Re: aliases and details

1995-12-14 17:40:42
Doug Hughes <Doug(_dot_)Hughes(_at_)Eng(_dot_)Auburn(_dot_)EDU> wrote:
Anyway, I'm trying to tackle the problem of aliases and "user+detail"
mail.  For example, I've aliased user "kevin" to my account "kykim".
Now when I send mail to "kevin+test", I want it to go to "kykim+test",
but it just goes to "kykim".

Ah! You've probably run into the age-old alias misconception. When you alias

Sorry Doug, I think the misconception is all yours here :-).

something to somebody else, the To: address stays the same.. In other
words, kykim needs something that looks for kevin+test, because the envelope
doesn't change on the message.

Actually, you probably mean, the envelope changes, but the header stays
the same.  But this is not the point here...

To answer the original question:

Is this a procmail configuration or sendmail configuration problem?

It's a sendmail configuration problem.  The fix either needs substantial
changes in the sendmail.cf file, or you might try putting in
aliases like

        kevin+test: kykim+test

--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

On a computer printed rental car receipt: *FOR GREAT BLOW JOBS (619) 279-2900*