procmail setup question

1995-12-22 11:08:07

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install procmail on an SGI running Irix 5.3

A buddy of mine with a similar setup has succesfully installed procmail.
He was so successful that he has little idea how procmail actually works
(since he didn't have to fix anything), and thus couldn't help me.

Procmail compiled just fine, and placed its binaries in /usr/local/bin

I then created the .forward .procmail/  and .procmailrc, and finally log,
rc.maillists, and rc.testing

However, procmail doesn't seem to be doing much of anything correctly.
I've tried all six different .forward recommendations (per the procmail
FAQ), and none work.  All result in bounced mail to root:

   ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550
/Net/common/usr/people/pixel/.forward: line 1: "|IFS=' ' && exec
/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #pixel"...  User
pixel(_at_)tiger(_dot_)coe(_dot_)missouri(_dot_)edu doesn't have a valid shell
for mailing to
programs

What am I doing wrong?

also, procmail isn't logging anything in the ~/.procmail/log file, and I
even set that file to be world-writable..

Any help appreciated

-- James