Re: formail -r question

1996-01-03 14:56:10
B. J. (or is it Randy?) Banks asked,

| Excuse my ignorance, but I've RTFM'd (and a RFM it is too ...) but
| cannot discover how to get formail to generate a complete set of
| return addresses when there are 2+ addresses in the REPLY-TO field.

Stephen explained why formail selects a single address in such situations
(even when the reply address are separated with commas).

If one is running formail inside a procmail rcfile, one can extract the full
contents of the incoming Reply-To: or Resent-Reply-To: header with the $MATCH
facility (although it will be fooled, harmlessly, when a formal name is
included in the Reply-To: header, thus marking a space that doesn't separate
two addresses).  The first set of brackets in each expression enclose a
caret, a space, and a tab; the second set enclose a space and a comma:

   :0hwf
   * !^Resent-Reply-To:.*\/[^   ].*[ ,]
   | formail -r
   :0Ehwf
   | formail -r -I"To: $MATCH"

If you don't want to honor Resent-Reply-To: headers, it can be simplified:

   :0hwf
   | formail -r -I"To: $MATCH"
   :0Ehwf