2 quick questions

1996-01-09 14:52:07
I have 2 quick (I hope) questions...

First, how do I add a carrige return to a string, for example I have a
statement like { ERR="error" }.  I can generate the error message fine,
but wheen there are multiple errors they are all strung together.  What
would I put in to add a linefeed to the above statement?

Secondly, I used a procmail rc file someone posted to this list (it has
been very helpful), but there is a problem shelling out (I think).   Here
is what I have in the rc file:

# Get the subject
SUBJ=`formail -zxSubject: | sed -e `s/^Re: *//g'`

# Get the sender
SENDER=`formail -zxFrom: `

# Get the date
DATE="date"

# Any errors?
:0
* ERR ?? .
{
        # replace the headers with a reply header
        :0 fh
        | formail -rt -I"Subject: Re: $SUBJ"

        # replace the body with the error message(s), and quote the
        # origional message
        :0 fb
        | ( echo $ERR ; sed -e 's/^/> /' )

-- cut here --

I get the following errors in my log file, and the message header comes
out somewhat screwed up:

-- cut here --
sed: option requires an argument -- e
Usage: sed [-nV] [--quiet] [--silent] [--version] [-e script]
        [-f script-file] [--expression=script] [--file=script-file] [file...]
procmail: Skipped "*//g'`"
procmail: Skipped "`date`"